Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Letter to Mr. Free At 33 (And his reply!)

Hello guys! This is Jerry Siu, the author of this blog. I read a lot of blogs on the topic of financial freedom. Mr. Free At 33 is definitely one of my favourites. Today I decided to write him some words and asks for his advice. Please take a look if you find it relevant!

Mr. Fieber,

I have recently come across your blog. After reading few posts, I immediately bought your book 5 Steps To Retire In 5 Years. It is eye-opening. It gave me some great advice to achieve financial freedom. On the other hand, I also have some concerns as I find my situation quite different from yours.


Let me introduce myself first: I am a 26 year old guy from Hong Kong. I have a Vietnamese girlfriend. (I met her in my trip to Vietnam. We are love at first sight!) We are going to get married few years later and we plan to have children(I read that you chose not to have kids). I hope I can retire early and move to Vietnam with my girlfriend.


Do you think I could achieve so by 5 years? I also wonder: if I build a similar Full-Time Funds like yours, can  I manage to raise a kid in South East Asia countries like Thailand or Vietnam?


Thank you in advance! I am pleased to provide you with more of my financial situation. Thank you!


Best regards,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for writing!


Appreciate you picking up a copy of the book. Glad to hear it opened your eyes. That's exactly the purpose of it. I want to inspire people to live their best lives.


It's impossible for me to say if you'll get there exactly in five years. I don't know anything about your finances (income, expenses, etc.), nor am I privy to information about your character (such as your persistence). But I can say that I laid out exact numbers in the book. You can scale them up/down to suit your needs, but the savings rates and passive income needs will translate very well to what you're talking about. Vietnam is probably just a tad cheaper than Thailand, comparing apples to apples. What you'll need will largely depend on your lifestyle choices, which are up to you. 


Having a child might alter things a bit, but I've never met anyone who decided whether or not to have children based purely on economics. I don't think it'll change things drastically, as a child does not inherently require a terrible amount of money. But that process of raising a child can be expensive. It really depends on how you approach it. Some parents choose to do so very cheaply. Others make very different choices. Schooling, clothing choices, food choices, etc. It's impossible for me to quantify for you, but I imagine that having a child will change the trajectory a bit. How much it changes your trajectory is up to you and your partner. 


In the end, I want the book to inspire. It's not necessarily getting there exactly in five years (although that is very possible). It's more about taking a much more enjoyable, flexible, and meaningful life path. If someone reads the book and retires 10 years earlier than they otherwise would have (even if they take 10 years to go from zero to FIRE), that's still a huge win. 


Hope that helps!


Best regards,
Jason Fieber
Founder and Publisher
Mr. Free At 33

No comments:

Post a Comment